03 August 2007

Dumb Partition Scheme

I've written before about what I think is a good way to layout your partitions. Now I want to show a bad way! This is from an actual, FreeBSD, dedicated server that someone I know rented. (The provider shall go unnamed ... to protect the guilty.) Let's look:

$ df -h -t ufs
Filesystem Size Used Avail Capacity Mounted on
/dev/ad0s1a 6.6G 79M 6.0G 1% /
/dev/ad0s1e 965M 20K 888M 0% /tmp
/dev/ad0s1f 9.5G 2.1G 6.6G 24% /usr
/dev/ad0s1d 6.6G 63M 6.0G 1% /var
/dev/ad0s2 9.0G 6.1G 2.2G 73% /usr/home


The big problems here are wasting all that space in the root partition and then dividing the /usr partition. (I won't complain about the size of /var, since it was meant to be a server; or having a separate /tmp since that is still a common practice.) But, the icing on this cr4p cake is the home partition. It wasn't bad enough to just put it on another disklabel partition, let's put it on it's very own slice! (a.k.a. DOS partition)

I'm still awfully glad when any place offers FreeBSD as an option on the dedicated servers. I don't know if this place does any better laying out the disks for the other OS's. But, it's often useful (and sometimes amusing) to have a bad example. :)

Labels:

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home